Bonded Title Process & How To Obtain A Title Bond

The bonded title process is an extremely valuable alternative to traditional vehicle titling that can be used in most states. If you are looking to title your vehicle, but find that you are missing the prior title or other evidence of ownership, you may be able to obtain a vehicle title using the bonded title process. In a bonded title process, the applicant is required to obtain a title bond for the vehicle. How does the bonded title process work and where do you get a title bond?

What is a bonded title?

A bonded title is an alternative method of title recovery that required the issuance of a title bond to secure the vehicle title. A bonded title is typically required when the owner of a vehicle does not have sufficient evidence of ownership needed to apply for a new title. Once a bonded title is issued, the title will be stamped BONDED in big letters. However, this is not a permanent title brand. This bonded title brand typically only lasts 3-5 years depending on your state. Once the 3-5 year time period has passed, you can apply for a clean title as long as there are no other clouds on the current title.

What is a title bond?

A title bond, also known as a motor vehicle title bond, is a type of surety bond that is issued as an insurance policy to secure the claim of vehicle ownership. The DMV in your state will require a title bond to be issued because essentially they are taking your word as the owner and to prevent their liability in the event of ownership discrepancy being discovered after the title is issued.

How much does a title bond cost?

Each state will have different requirements for the value of your title bond. Many states require the bond value to be 1.5x the value of the vehicle. However, that’s not to say that if your vehicle is worth $10,000 that you have to pay $15,000 to get your title. When purchasing a title bond, you will only be required to pay a portion of the value to secure the bond. Typically, a bond will cost about $100-$150 for most moderately valued vehicles. You won’t be required to pay the full cost of the bond unless there is an ownership discrepancy found after the bonded title is issued.

Title bonds can be purchased from any licensed bonding company or insurance company. Looking to get a quote on a title bond for your bonded title process? Check out!

What states accept the bonded title process in 2022?

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

What states do not have a bonded title process in 2022?

Delaware, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Virginia, and West Virginia.

If you live in one of these states, but would still like to pursue a bonded title process, you may be eligible to obtain an out-of-state bonded title from Vermont. You do not have to be a resident of Vermont to qualify, but the vehicle has to be at least 15 years old or older. Before pursuing this option, make sure that your state will accept this title as evidence of ownership for transfer.

Tips for your bonded title process

Tip #1: Verify your eligibility BEFORE purchasing your title bond

In states that accept the bonded title process, make sure that your vehicle qualifies. Many states, although they accept the process, will have certain requirements such as the vehicle must be over a certain model year. In addition, make sure you are purchasing the correct value of the bond. Title bonds are NOT refundable and should only be purchased if eligibility is met for a bonded title.

Tip #2: Include all of the proper paperwork for your state

Remember, the bonded title process isn’t as streamlined as the traditional title transfer process. Check your state’s process to make sure you have all of the correct paperwork, inspections, and documentation completed prior to your application.

Tip #3: Get a vehicle history report

A vehicle history report isn’t required for a bonded title or a title bond, but is a good idea to do before starting the process, especially if you’ve recently purchased the vehicle. A vehicle history report through one of the NMVTIS-approved providers can tell you if your vehicle has been branded as salvage, has an accident history, has ever been reported stolen, sold at auction, etc. This is important because if a vehicle has ever been branded salvage, junk, parts-only, nonrepairable, or any other permanent title brand, they are NOT eligible for a bonded title or any vehicle title other than the current brand.

Tip #4: Include state taxes and fees with your application

When submitting your application, you may be required to pay sales tax and a fee for your state title application. Review your state’s fees prior to submission to ensure all applicable fees and taxes are paid on time.

Having a title brand may seem less than ideal, but a bonded title brand is nothing to be concerned about. Important documents are lost and damaged all of the time, it’s not uncommon for this to also happen to a vehicle title. If you’re ready to get started on your bonded title process, is ready to help prepare your documents for success. Looking for a quote on your title bond? Get started today with!

How To Export A Vehicle From The United States

Are you planning to export a vehicle from the United States? Whether it’s a car, truck, or motorcycle, you’ll want to make sure you have all of your required documents before making that move, or else you may be turned around at the border.

Required documents for US export of a vehicle

You will need your original certificate of title for your vehicle. In addition to the original certificate of title, you will also need two certified copies of the original title. If your original title document is presented to customs but cannot be found prior to export, your certified copies will serve as evidence of proper requirements.

Other documents needed for special circumstances

  • If your vehicle has a lien, you must get explicit permission from the lienholder to export the vehicle. If the lien has not been released, you must obtain a letter on the lienholder’s letterhead explaining that you are authorized to export this vehicle and that they are aware of it.
  • If you have a foreign titled vehicle, you must provide the original proof of ownership. If the original proof of ownership document is not in English, you must provide a translation of the document in English in addition to the original.
  • If the vehicle is newly manufactured, you must provide the manufacturer’s statement of origin (MSO) and provide proof that there are no ownership records for the vehicle.
  • If the vehicle is deemed salvage, junk, or parts-only, you must provide original or certified copies of the branded title.
  • If the vehicle does not have a title or proof of ownership, you must prove that there are no other claims to ownership and provide a bill of sale and duplicate title. Furthermore, you’ll have to prove to customs that this export is being conducted in good faith and you did not steal the vehicle.

According to the US Customs and Border Patrol, a certified copy is “a document issued by an authorized government authority that includes on it a signed statement by the authority that the copy is an authentic copy of the original.”

US vehicle export process

Once you have all of your documents complied, you must present your vehicle to US Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) at least 72 hours prior to export. All required documents must be presented at this time. Make sure to contact Customs prior to export to ensure you have all applicable documents for your state and jurisdiction.

Once at Customs, a port director will provide you with the locations to present the documents and your vehicle. Customs will then analyze your documents and compare them to your vehicle to determine their validity. If determined to be valid, Customs will return your paperwork and send you on your way. Depending on your situation, there may be additional steps involved. Be sure to contact Customs prior to your inspection to ensure you are properly alerted of all required documents and processes for your export.

The US export process seems like it is simple, but Customs does not take this process lightly. If you are planning to export a vehicle, make sure that all of your documents are certified and available for Customs. Any problems in your inspection may result in delay or denial of export.

What Determines Legal Ownership Of A Vehicle?

The vehicle certificate of title is the only document that proves ownership. Many people confuse the bill of sale or the registration card as proof of ownership. Your bill of sale will show that you made the transaction, while your registration card shows that you are authorized to drive this vehicle.

Motor vehicle records are considered private information under the driver’s privacy protection act. You cannot look up the owner of a vehicle online or call up the DMV and ask. The only way to find out the owner of a vehicle is to look at the title or to submit an official DPPA request form.

The Driver’s Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) was passed in 1994 to protect the privacy of drivers from having their information disclosed by government agencies without consent. The DPPA does not apply to private entities such as insurance companies, banks or other financial institutions, credit card companies, or any individual person who wants to find out about someone else’s driving history. It also does not apply to law enforcement agencies investigating traffic accidents or criminal matters involving a motor vehicle.

Legal ownership by common types of vehicle titles

Clean title

A clean title means that the vehicle title does not have any liens attached to it and the owner is able to do whatever they want with the vehicle. This can include selling it, trading it in, or even donating it.

Bonded title

A bonded title is a type of vehicle title that is obtained by securing a surety bond. The term bonded title will stay on the title for a period of a few years, but the owner will be listed on the front. A bond is not the same as a lien.

Lien title

A lien title means that the vehicle title has the owner’s name and the lienholder’s name because the loan has not been paid off in full. Once the loan is paid off in full, the owner can request a lien release from the lender.

Before you can establish that you are the legal owner of a vehicle, you must understand what qualifies as legal ownership. Generally, in order to legally own a vehicle, you will have to be listed on the title and have the right to sign off on any deals.

How Long Does It Take For A Car Title To Come In The Mail?

It can be frustrating waiting for your car title to come in the mail. However, it is something that you have to wait for. The length of time it takes to get your paperwork in the mail depends on many factors. Some of which have nothing to do with you, but others that may determine how long it takes to get your title include who you purchased the vehicle from, where you purchased the vehicle, and how you purchased the vehicle. In this article, we will discuss each of these to understand what might affect how long it will take for you to get your car title.

Top 4 reasons why you didn’t receive a car title

Reason #1: You live in a non-title-holding state and you financed your vehicle purchase.

If you financed your vehicle through a lender and you live in a non-title-holding state, your car title was sent directly to your lienholder. In non-title-holding states, the title is sent to the lienholder, aka lender, until the loan is paid off in its entirety. In these states, the title is considered to be a lienholder title or a lien title because it will be issued in the name of the lienholder as well as your name. Once your loan is satisfied, your lienholder is supposed to stamp your title as paid and send it to you in the mail. Unfortunately, many lienholders will put this responsibility on the vehicle owner.

If your loan is paid off and you still haven’t received your title from your lienholder, check out our article How To Get A Title From A Lienholder.

What states are non-title-holding states?

There are 41 titleholding states: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

What are title-holding states?

Title-holding states will issue the vehicle title directly to the owner of the vehicle, not the lienholder. The lienholder will still be listed on the vehicle title until the loan is paid off, but the title is kept by the vehicle owner/operator. These titles, although in possession of the owner, still require a lien release to remove the lienholder from the title once the loan is satisfied.

Reason #2: You purchased the vehicle from a dealership, but the dealership has since closed before mailing you your title.

Sadly, this happens to more people than you may think. Oftentimes when dealerships are experiencing financial difficulties or they are planning to go out of business, they’ll first try to sell all of the vehicles they don’t have titles for or cannot obtain a title for them. This way they avoid paying additional registration and title fees with the DMV. The dealership is hoping that this will now be the buyer’s problem.

Are you waiting on your car title because the dealership is out of business? Check out our article Getting a Title From a Closed Car Dealership.

Reason #3: You purchased the vehicle from a private seller and the seller needs to obtain a duplicate title.

If you know that the seller needs to obtain a duplicate title or they are in the process of obtaining a duplicate title, it may take a few weeks for the application to be complete and the new title to be issued. Once the new title is issued, the duplicate title will be issued to the seller, not you as the buyer. The seller will need to sign the new duplicate title over to you and you will need to take the signed title to the DMV to transfer the title to your name. Remember, only the registered owner in the DMV records can apply for and obtain a duplicate title. Until you give the DMV the signed prior title, your name is not in their records for that vehicle. If this situation matches your scenario, make sure to keep good contact with the seller of your vehicle during this process.

Reason #4: You purchased the vehicle from a private seller, but the seller did not have the title at the time of purchase.

We advise against purchasing a vehicle without a title, even if the seller provides you with a seemingly reputable reason as to why they don’t have it. However, if you did purchase a vehicle without a title from a private seller and haven’t received it in the mail yet, reach out to them in all forms of contact that you have. Create a paper trail or digital trail of communication regarding the vehicle title. If the seller is unable or unwilling to send you the prior title or get you a duplicate title, you will need to seek an alternative method of title recovery.

If you have a vehicle without a title, you may be able to use a bonded title process, court-ordered title process, or the Vermont title loophole method. These are legal methods of title recovery recognized by DMVs across the country, but not all states allow for a bonded title. Before using this method, consider out-of-state bonding alternatives or other alternative title recovery methods.

There are a lot of other reasons why your car title hasn’t come in the mail yet that have nothing to do with these factors such as inclement weather impacting mail delivery or slow processing times at your local DMV. The most important thing to remember is that your vehicle title assigns legal ownership of your vehicle. If your title is missing, lost, or stolen, it’s important to address the issue immediately. Until the title is in your name, you are not the legal owner in the eyes of the law. takes the hassle out of applying for a title for your vehicle. Our team of title experts can help prepare your paperwork for any title method provided.

How Do You Write A Bill Of Sale For A Car?

how to write a bill of sale for a motor vehicle. include the date of purchase, seller's name, seller's signature, buyer's name, vehicle VIN, vehicle make, vehicle model, model year, and odometer statement.

If you’re planning to sell your car or vehicle, how do you write a bill of sale to accurately describe the transaction?

A bill of sale for a car is proof of the transaction. The bill of sale is a written agreement between buyer and seller to transfer ownership of a vehicle. It’s an important legal document that can protect both buyer and seller. If you’re selling your car, it’s wise to have the bill of sale on hand. If you’re buying a used car, you’ll need the bill of sale before you can register the vehicle in your state.

How to write a bill of sale

Most states do not have an official bill of sale document required for private vehicle transactions. It is up to you, the seller and buyer, to ensure that your bill of sale not only is part of the transaction but includes the following nine components:

  1. Date of purchase – what day did the vehicle transaction take place?
  2. Name of the seller – who is the seller/current titleholder?
  3. The seller’s signature – the signature of the current titleholder*
  4. Name of the buyer – who is purchasing the vehicle?
  5. Vehicle identification number (VIN) – VINs, after 1981 are typically 17 characters, VINs prior to 1981, may have fewer characters.
  6. Vehicle make – Ford, Subaru, Toyota, Dodge, Honda, etc.
  7. Vehicle model – Focus, Forester, Camry, Dakoda, Civic, etc.
  8. Model year – what year what the vehicle made?
  9. Odometer statement – how many miles are on the odometer at the time of the transaction?

*Only the current titleholder or power of attorney for the titleholder is permitted to sign the bill of sale.

Special requirements for a bill of sale

In most states, a bill of sale that includes the nine components above is generally accepted by the state’s DMV office. However, there are 5 states that require your bill of sale to be notarized by a public notary to be valid. The states that require a notarized bill of sale are Maryland, Nebraska, West Virginia, Montana, and New Hampshire.

Are you looking for a free PDF download bill of sale for a car or motor vehicle? Check out for more information about bills of sale and to get your free vehicle bill of sale download.

How To File Mechanic’s Lien and Storage Lien

Are you a licensed automotive repair shop or a storage facility stuck with an abandoned vehicle? If so, you may be eligible to file for a mechanic’s lien or storage lien to recover the costs of repairing or storing an abandoned vehicle.

What is a mechanic’s lien?

A mechanic’s lien is a legal right that attaches to real property (in this case, the property being the vehicle) and protects mechanics who have done work on a car. Mechanics are able to file liens against cars after they have performed repairs/repairs on them because they have been damaged by the owner. The purpose of this law is to prevent mechanics from having their work go unpaid by people who abandon their cars before paying for repairs.

Is a storage lien the same as a mechanic’s lien?

A storage lien is similar in nature to a mechanic’s lien, but it is allowed to be filed by storage facilities that do not necessarily repair motor vehicles and requires that you first store the abandoned vehicle before filing for one. The storage lien gives you priority over other creditors who may want to claim their property back from storage facilities.

How to file for a mechanic’s lien or storage lien

The mechanic’s lien process starts with your filing a lien claim with the county clerk’s office in the county where the vehicle is stored. To file a mechanic’s lien or storage lien, follow all instructions for notification of the owner and lienholders. You will likely have to post ads in a circulating newspaper and will likely be required to auction off the vehicle at a public auction after the mechanic’s lien process is complete. If you don’t take action within the appropriate time frame, you risk losing your right to collect on your mechanic’s lien or storage lien claim.

A mechanic’s lien or storage lien must be filed within a specific amount of time. Your county will determine the applicable time frame.

In most states, the deadline for filing a mechanic’s lien is 30 days after you’ve been paid in full. If you don’t file within that time frame, you may lose your right to file a lien claim. In some states, the filing deadline is longer than 30 days after payment. You should check with your county clerk or DMV to find out what the deadline is in your state. Some states allow mechanics to extend this deadline if they can prove that they made every reasonable effort to notify their customers of the need for payment but were unable to do so because of an unforeseen event such as fire or natural disaster.

When it comes to filing a mechanic’s lien, there are several steps that you must take. While the exact steps depend on your state laws, you will typically need to file a notice at the courthouse where the vehicle is located, publish a legal notice in a local newspaper, send a notice to the owner of the abandoned vehicle, and place a notice on the car itself. The benefits of filing a mechanic’s lien or storage lien are immense for automotive repair and storage facilities. Before filing, make sure you know your state’s process so you can get the payday you’ve been waiting for. takes the hassle out of filing a mechanic’s lien. Get started with us today!

Ready to file a storage lien? is the premier provider of storage lien filing support and assistance.

How To Get A Bonded Title in Florida

If you are trying to title your vehicle in Florida, but find that you are missing important ownership documents, a bonded title may be a valuable alternative method to title your vehicle.

What is a bonded title?

A bonded title is a type of title recovery method that requires the purchase of a surety bond, also known as a vehicle title bond, to secure the ownership of the vehicle. This is because, in order to receive a bonded title, you must have a major lack of proper documentation. The DMV in your state is essentially taking your word that you are the owner of the vehicle. The vehicle title bond provides security for the DMV to assign the ownership in the event that there is an ownership discrepancy after the bonded title is issued.

What official documents are needed to get a bonded title in Florida?

To get a bonded title in Florida, you must provide the following completed official documents to your local DMV:

VIN verification and odometer verification

To apply for a bonded title, Florida law requires that the vehicle identification number (VIN) and the odometer be verified. The number on the odometer of the vehicle must be accurately reflected on this form. Federal and state law requires that this information be accurate and failure to provide accurate information may result in fines and/or imprisonment. 

VIN verification requires a physical inspection of the VIN of the vehicle. This is an official process and must be completed by an authorized agent such as a Florida licensed dealer, law enforcement officer, military police officer, or the Florida Compliance Inspector. VIN verification is required to ensure that the vehicle is permitted to be titled under federal and state laws. Certain VINs or replacement parts may be found in the NMVTIS database and unable to be titled if the vehicle was rebuilt or previously damaged.

Title Surety Bond For A Motor Vehicle (HSMV 82033)

This document must be completed by the surety company that issues you your vehicle title bond. The bond amount needed for Florida is 2x the value of the vehicle. This doesn’t mean that if your vehicle is worth $5,000 that you’ll have to pay $10,000 to get a title. Most vehicle title bonds cost a fraction of the actual value, typically at around $100-$200. The reason that applicants are required to purchase a bond with such a high value is that if there is a true discrepancy in ownership, the terms of the bond may cause you to pay the full amount to cover any damages.

How do you obtain a title bond in Florida?

A title bond can be purchased by any surety bond agency that is permitted to sell vehicle title bonds in Florida. Our partners at are experts at providing vehicle title bonds and can issue title bonds for vehicles in Florida.

A Florida bonded title is a very valuable method to obtain a vehicle title if you are missing ownership documents. takes the hassle out of applying for a title for your vehicle. Our team of title experts can help prepare your paperwork for any title method provided. Get started with your bonded title process!

How To Get A Car Title With A Bill Of Sale

Can you get a car title with a bill of sale? Yes, you can get a car title with a bill of sale, but only in certain situations.

What is a bill of sale?

A bill of sale is proof of the vehicle transaction. The bill of sale does not prove ownership of the vehicle, just that the sale of the vehicle occurred. A bill of sale is a legal document used to transfer ownership from one person to another. It can be used as proof of ownership when selling a vehicle privately or through a dealership. In all states, the seller needs to complete and sign the bill of sale before handing over the title.

For more tips regarding your bill of sale, check out our article How to Write a Bill of Sale.

Bill of sale only car titles

There are a few circumstances where a state will allow a vehicle to be registered with only a bill of sale. Those circumstances generally are:

  • If you are using the Vermont title loophole
  • If you are applying for a bonded title
  • If your state has specific titling restrictions for certain year vehicles

Using a bill of sale for the Vermont title loophole

The Vermont title loophole, more formally known as the Vermont registration process, is one of the most common ways to get a title for a vehicle using only a bill of sale. While vehicles that are 15 years or older can be registered in Vermont, they cannot be titled under Vermont law. This means that the registration document provided by the Vermont DMV is legally equivalent to a vehicle title in that state. With this legal proof of ownership, you can use this in lieu of a prior title to obtain a new title in your name.

Learn more about the Vermont title loophole!

Using a bill of sale for a bonded title

If your vehicle doesn’t meet the model year criteria for the Vermont title loophole, a bonded title is another valuable way to obtain a title using a bill of sale if your state allows for this method. Currently, only 35 out of the 50 U.S. states allow for a bonded title process. A bonded title requires you to obtain a vehicle title bond, or surety bond, to secure your claim of ownership.

Learn more about the bonded title process!

Titling restrictions by model year

In some states, titles are not required or optional for certain model-year vehicles. Typically, these model years vehicles are upwards of 25+ years old. For example, in Georgia, you can obtain a vehicle registration that is equivalent to a title for model years 1962 and older. Because titling is not required for these vehicles, similar to the Vermont title loophole, the Georgia registration document is equivalent to a title for that vehicle.

Overall, unless your vehicle meets these specific requirements, it will likely not be possible to get a title using only a bill of sale. But if your vehicle meets this criteria, these are very valuable and reputable methods to obtain a vehicle title. takes the hassle out of applying for a title for your vehicle. Our team of title experts can help prepare your paperwork for any title method provided.

MV907A New York Salvage Title Process Explained

Do you currently have a vehicle with an MV907A from New York that needs to be transferred to a vehicle title? New York, like some other states, allows for salvage vehicles to be rebuilt and titled for future road use. Unlike other states, New York is notorious for its rigid and strict inspection and titling procedures for these brands of vehicles.

What is form NY MV907A?

If you’ve purchased a vehicle from auction, you’ve likely received a salvage certificate known as form MV907A. This form is not equivalent to a vehicle title but is used as official proof of ownership to obtain a vehicle title, according to the New York DMV.

What defines a salvage vehicle in New York?

In New York, a vehicle is considered salvage if:

  • A vehicle model is 8 years old or newer and
  • The owner has indicated the vehicle was destroyed or received damage of 75% or more of the retail value of the vehicle at the time the damage occurred.

MV907A New York – Inspection Process

Before a salvage vehicle can be officially titled, the vehicle must be inspected by the New York DMV Auto Theft & Salvage Unit. Using the Salvage Examination/Title Application (MV83SAL), provide the following information about the vehicle:

  • Owner information & contact
  • Lienholder information & contact
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • Year
  • Make
  • Model
  • Body Type
  • Fuel
  • Weight & axles (for trucks and heavier vehicles)
  • Odometer disclosure

On the second page of this form, you’ll be required to notate all major parts of the vehicle that were repaired, the type of salvage vehicle you are titling, and itemize all body repairs. Your MV907A form should tell you what type of salvage your vehicle is considered:

  • Recovered stolen with no damage
  • Recovered stolen (with damage)
  • Collision loss
  • Flood damage
  • Unknown
  • Other

Repairs and receipts

For every salvage vehicle, the insurance claim will record the major components that need to be replaced prior to inspection. In order to pass the New York salvage inspection, all of the repairs completed must match the insurance claim. If parts have not been replaced in accordance with the insurance claim, the vehicle will be rejected. Additionally, you must keep all receipts from parts you’ve used as replacements for your vehicle. At the time of your inspection, you must present all original receipts to the inspector and/or ownership documents for any of the items replaced. The receipts and/or ownership documents must present the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle that the parts were taken. The reason for this is to prevent a vehicle from being rebuilt with faulty or unsafe vehicle parts from previously damaged vehicles.

Salvage Title Checklist

The New York DMV has provided a checklist to avoid rejection of your application for a vehicle title. To ensure your application is approved, make sure all required forms are included and properly signed:

  • Salvage Examination/Title Application (MV83SAL)
  • Proof of ownership (original title, out-of-state title, marshal’s sale, police bill of sale, garageman lien, MV907A form, owner-retained salvage, or DMV letter)*
  • Original bill of sale and/or dealer reassignment (if applicable)
  • Form FS-6T or MV-50 for Proof of Sales Tax
  • Original lien or lien release (if applicable)
  • Proof of identity (individual, corporation, or partnership)
  • Check or money order with the correct fee

*When proof of ownership is submitted, it will not be returned.

Once you’ve gathered all of the required documents and receipts, mail your New York Salvage Examination/Title Application to the Auto Theft & Salvage Unit to set up an appointment for the inspection. The Division of Field Investigation will notify you of the date, time, and address of your appointment.

If you’re using the MV907A form, you must complete the salvage inspection process in order to obtain a title. New York’s laws regarding salvage title inspections are so strict, that other states include in their statutes that if someone has an MV907A from New York, no other state can do anything about it. The only way to get a title for a vehicle if it’s been issued an MV907A in New York is to go through the salvage inspection process in the state. This form does not transfer to any of the other 50 states and if it’s received by another state DMV, they are not permitted to do anything with it.

Even though New York is notorious for strict salvage vehicle inspection laws, they still provide the ability to get a title for a salvage vehicle. If you’re looking to purchase a salvage vehicle, make sure to do your research and homework on the vehicle before making your decision.

Looking for assistance with your salvage vehicle? Our partners at can help.

Filing For A Duplicate Car Title

Was your car title lost or stolen? If so, you may need to obtain a duplicate title to prove ownership of your vehicle. A duplicate title is a document that’s needed when the original title is lost, stolen, damaged, or mutilated. It’s imperative that your vehicle is titled in your name because if your name isn’t on the vehicle title, you don’t own it.

Applying for a duplicate or replacement title

The first step to applying for a duplicate title is determining who was that last titled owner. If it’s your name, you can apply for a duplicate title. If your name was not on the original vehicle title, you will not be able to obtain a duplicate title.

Each of the 50 states will have its own set of fees for duplicate title processes. If you are applying by mail, it’s important to check your state fees prior to submitting your paperwork. Most state DMVs accept checks and money orders, but do not mail cash. Many states offer this process for a very small fee, for example, in Minnesota the duplicate title fee is  $7.25, while in Texas the duplicate title fee is a mere $2.00. 

Once you’ve located your DMV and have your funds, you can prepare your application for duplicate or replacement title. Many states, such as Colorado, require that your duplicate or replacement title application be notarized prior to submission, be sure to check with your state regulations prior to submitting your application. 

If you’ve recently moved to a new state and need to get a duplicate title, you will need to apply for a duplicate title in the state where the vehicle was last titled. For example, if your vehicle was last titled in Florida but you now live in Georgia, you cannot get a duplicate title from the Georgia DMV. Similarly, if your vehicle title shows a lien, you will first need to get your lien released before you are able to apply for a title.

If you’re the legal owner of a vehicle and simply need to get your lost title replaced, the duplicate title process is likely for you. Be sure to check your state’s fees and document requirements prior to submitting your application to get a title. Click here for more information on this title process and how can professionally prepare your title documents.